By Tom Lansford Ph.D.
This e-book analyzes the complicated reasons and results of the September eleven, 2001, terrorist assaults either locally and across the world, and examines the following wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
• offers insightful charges from modern figures and first records starting from Osama bin Laden's 1998 fatwa opposed to the U.S. to the 2006 Iraq learn staff Report
• includes 12 biographies starting from Osama bin weighted down to George W. Bush that offer designated heritage on vital figures from the era
• offers a chronology of occasions from the Nineteen Seventies to the current day, together with occurrences resulting in the September eleven, 2001, assaults and the Iraq War
• incorporates a opt for bibliography of significant works at the September eleven, 2001, assaults; the conflict in Iraq; place of birth defense; and the battle on terror
• includes a precise word list of key words resembling "Shiite" and "weapons of mass destruction"
Read or Download 9/11 and the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. A Chronology and Reference Guide PDF
Similar historical study & educational resources books
All through its imperial golden a while, China was once the world's such a lot constructed state, domestic to complicated applied sciences, a strong economic climate, and thriving towns. Its millions of years of cultural and creative achievements mixed with its vastness and ethnic complexity have made China either attention-grabbing and forbidding for these encountering it for the 1st time.
The old Dictionary of Malaysia encapsulates the advance of Malaysia from prehistory to the early years of the twenty first century. It covers not just Malaysia's background but additionally its politics, financial system, multiethnic society, multiculturalism, medical and technological advancements, and the nation of its atmosphere.
A spouse to 19th-Century the US is an authoritative review of present historiographical advancements and significant topics within the background of nineteenth-century the United States. Twenty-seven students, all experts of their personal thematic components, research the foremost debates and historiography. A thematic and chronological association brings jointly the most important time classes, politics, the Civil battle, economic system, and social and cultural historical past of the 19th century.
Who equipped Stonehenge? Why did the pharaohs construct the pyramids? Did Richard III kill the princes within the tower? may possibly the enormous were kept? Did Hitler homicide his niece? compliment FOR UNSOLVED MYSTERIES OF heritage ''Like a sleuth, Aron items jointly the prospective solutions .
- Gentlemen Capitalists: The Social and Political World of the Victorian Businessman (Jewish Society and Culture)
- The (American) Presidents: A Reference History
- Troubled Geographies: A Spatial History of Religion and Society in Ireland (The Spatial Humanities)
- Historical Dictionary of Malaysia (Historical Dictionaries of Asia, Oceania, and the Middle East)
- Historical Dictionary of French Cinema (Historical Dictionaries of Literature and the Arts)
- Theoretical Methods in Social History
Additional info for 9/11 and the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. A Chronology and Reference Guide
The Shoe Bomber In spite of the new airline security measures, al Qaeda attempted a bombing of a ﬂight from Paris to Miami. There was a single terrorist involved: Richard Reid, a British citizen who had traveled to Afghanistan and Pakistan in 1999 and 2000, where he joined al Qaeda and received terrorist training. Bin Laden believed that Reid would receive less scrutiny than someone of Middle Eastern origin. On December 22, 2001, Reid boarded American Airlines Flight 63 in Paris. Reid’s shoes had plastic explosives in them, and he was supposed to detonate the bombs in a suicide attack.
On October 8, Bush created the Ofﬁce of Homeland Security through Executive Order 13228. The new ofﬁce was created to coordinate all domestic counterterrorism activities among 40 different federal bodies, including the response and recovery from the attacks. Speciﬁcally Bush wanted the new body to overcome the divisions between the existing law enforcement and intelligence agencies and to enhance intelligence and information sharing. Former Pennsylvania governor Tom Ridge was appointed to lead the new body.
The plane struck the ﬁrst ﬂoor at ground level, killing all onboard and igniting a massive ﬁre with temperatures of more than 1,000° Fahrenheit. The airplane ﬂew into an area that was undergoing renovations and therefore partially unoccupied. In addition, structural upgrades, including blast-resistant windows and steel reinforcements in the walls, helped minimize casualties. Nonetheless, the plane drove more than 300 feet into the building. The impact caused part of the outer rings of the building to collapse.